Independence Day is just around the corner and we’re celebrating with a bang! In honor of America’s birthday, we’re grilling up a few red, white and blue appetizers that are sure to set off a few fireworks. These dishes are the ultimate snacks, side dishes and finger foods to start your all-day eating fest. Make sure to try our Patriotic Colada Cocktail; it’s a crowd favorite and promises to get the festivities going. Here’s to you, America!
4th of July Potatoes
• 2 pounds of mini red, white and blue potatoes
• 6 cloves of garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Wash potatoes and place in a mixing bowl.
• Coat potatoes with the minced garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Grill potatoes for approximately 20 minutes, until tender, turning frequently
• Top of these delicious potatoes with a dollop of butter and pair them with a perfectly grilled steak or chicken breast!
• 1 eggplant
• 1 8-ounce mozzarella ball
• 2 tomatoes
• 1/4 cup basil, whole fresh leaves
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• Balsamic vinegar
• Ground pepper
• Cut eggplant horizontally into 1/4 inch rounds.
• Toss sliced eggplant with kosher salt and let sit for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture.
• Wipe eggplant dry with paper towels and brush both sides of the slices lightly with olive oil.
• Place your eggplant on the grill and cook approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown.
• Cut tomatoes and mozzarella in 1/4 inch round slices.
• Place one slice of eggplant on a plate and stack with one tomato slice, one mozzarella slice and 1 to 2 basil leaves.
• Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and season with pepper. Keep stacking to create a Caprese tower!
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
• 24 jalapeño peppers
• 24 slices of pepper jack cheese
• 3, 8-ounce Italian sausages, precooked
• 12 pieces of bacon
• Slice peppers in half lengthwise, down the stem.
• With a spoon, scrape out the seeds and fibers, leaving the pepper clean.
• Stuff each pepper with one slice of cheese by folding it to fit inside.
• Cut sausages into four pieces lengthwise and stuff one piece of sausage into each pepper and press closed.
• Cut bacon slices in half, wrap each slice around a jalapeño and secure with a toothpick (grill tip: be sure to soak your toothpicks in water for about 30 minutes prior to putting them on the grill to prevent burning).
• Place your poppers on the grill for 20 to 25 minutes, turning occasionally, until bacon is crisp and peppers are tender.
• Remove from grill and place on a serving platter and enjoy!
I’m Blue for You Peppers
• 1 14-ounce jar of Peppadew peppers
• 1 4-ounce package of blue cheese
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• Drain and pit the peppers.
• Lightly coat the outside of the peppers in olive oil and stuff with blue cheese.
• Grill peppers for about 5 minutes or until the skin is light brown.
These make for a sweet, spicy and creamy snack, all in one bite!
Patriotic Colada Cocktail
• 1/2 fresh pineapple
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 cup rum, plus 1 tablespoon
• 1/2 cup blueberries
• 1/2 cup half and half
• 1/2 cup coconut water
• 1 cup ice
• Strawberries for garnish
• Coconut flakes
• Peel pineapple, remove core and cut into spears.
• Place spears in a zip-lock bag with the oil, sugar and 1 tablespoon of rum.
• Toss well and let sit for 15 minutes.
• Grill each side of the pineapple until caramelized.
• Remove them from the grill and put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
• Once the grilled spears are slightly frozen, place them in a blender and blend until smooth.
• Add blueberries, rum, half and half, coconut water and ice, blend well.
• Rim glasses with coconut and garnish with a strawberry.
Please follow and like us: