There is no better way to wake up than with a huge skillet full of eggs, potatoes, and cheese. Introducing Derek Wolf from Over the Fire Cooking’s new Campfire Breakfast Skillet for those that crave fire cooked food in the morning. Jam packed with veggies, potatoes, sausage and eggs, this breakfast skillet will wake anyone up and get them ready for the day!
First, you are going to start by lighting some Cowboy Charcoal to make a campfire. Then, you will cook all of your favorite veggies & meat inside the skillet until they are nice and brown. The key to browning food in cast iron is butter. We call for 3 tablespoons of butter, but don’t be afraid to add more for a larger skillet. Throw some eggs on top and you’re in for a great morning!
Campfire Breakfast Skillet
Yields: 2-3 servings
Cook: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Equipment needed: Cowboy Charcoal, cast iron skillet, spatula, knife, cutting board
- 1/4 pound country sausage
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 fresh eggs
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Handful of chopped chives
- Use some Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal to light fire and let burn for 10-15 minutes. Once charcoal is white hot, push into middle for direct grilling
- Preheat skillet 2-3 minutes for cooking. Add country sausage to skillet and let brown
- Once sausage is browned, add chopped golden potatoes, onions & 2 tablespoons of butter to cook for 8 minutes. Stir occasionally
- Add chopped red onion to the skillet and cook for another 2 minutes. As everything browns and cooks, add the last tablespoon of butter and let it sizzle into skillet
- Prep skillet for eggs by flattening ingredients inside. Add eggs to the top of the skillet and let cook for 5 minutes
- Option: Add a cover to your skillet if you do not like eggs sunny side up
- Top the skillet with cheese & chives and let melt
- Remove from grill and let cool
- Serve and enjoy!