A new twist on the plank cooking method: instead of hardwood or salt, use a thick slab of fresh pineapple as a plank.
The juicy, porous flesh of the pineapple allows the smoky flavors to come through and steam the fish. Once cooked, the fish has a slightly sweet, tangy flavor. The exterior of the halibut is lightly caramelized from the natural sugars of the pineapple, and the inside remains moist and tender. The best thing about using a pineapple plank is that you get to eat the delicious grilled fruit too!
• Fresh cut of halibut (or other firm, white fish)
• 1 large pineapple
• 6 sprigs of fresh basil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 or 2 limes, juiced
• Vegetable or coconut oil
• Season the fish on both sides with salt, pepper and fresh lime juice.
• Cut the pineapple horizontally into 1/2-inch thick rings, un-cored. These will be the grilling planks for your seafood.
• Prepare the fire with Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal. Once the flames die down and the coals have ashed over, place the grate back on top of the grill.
• Rub the grate with some vegetable or coconut oil to prevent sticking.
• Place the halibut on the pineapple planks.
• Place the pineapple planks over the coals and cover with grill lid. Cooking time will take about 10 to15 minutes (the pineapple will appear slightly browned). Halibut is ready to eat when the meat is opaque in the middle.
• Note: If left on the grill too long, the pineapple planks will begin to lose structure. Keep a close eye on the pineapple and fish to ensure it’s done to your liking.
• Remove the fish and pineapple from the grill, garnish with fresh basil, and serve.
• Don’t forget to remove the core from your grilled pineapple planks and add them as a garnish to your fish.
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Apple Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The crisp, sweet aroma from the rich apple wood smoke will enhance any grilling experience. This apple wood flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with chicken, fish and pork. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these apple wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Pecan Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The mellow, nutty aroma of pecan wood enhances the flavor of any food, but pairs particularly well with chicken and seafood. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these pecan wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.