From tasty snacks to expertly-grilled meats and vegetables, we’ve got tailgating covered this season…at least almost. What would tailgating be without a killer beverage to help cheer your favorite team to victory? So, we’re turning our attention to the beverage category.
Staying with our past theme of grilled fruit, here are a couple more drinks that include smoky-flavored garnishes. The first is inspired by a Northwest classic from our friends in the Evergreen state, while the second evokes fall afternoons in the southwest.
Grilled Washington Apple
Makes 1 cocktail
• 1 oz. Canadian whiskey
• 1 oz. sour apple schnapps
• 1 oz. cranberry juice
• Grilled green apple cross-section for garnish
• Pour liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker and then fill with ice. Shake well.
• Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or serve over ice in a lowball glass (or rocks glass).
• Garnish with grilled apple.
Grilled Lemon/Lime Margarita
Makes 1 cocktail
• 2 oz. Reposado tequila
• 3 grilled lemon rounds
• 3 grilled lime rounds
• 1/2 oz. agave nectar
• 1 teaspoon orange liqueur (such as Cointreau or Combier)
• 1 tablespoon lime-salt-sugar (recipe below)
• Grilled lemon and lime rounds for garnish
• Brown sugar for grilling
• Dust the lime and lemon rounds with brown sugar and lightly grill each side.
• Once well-marked on the grill, let citrus rounds cool.
• Muddle two of the grilled lime and lemon rounds in a shaker.
• Fill shaker with ice and add in agave nectar, tequila and orange liqueur. Shake well.
• Rim the edge of a lowball glass (or rocks glass) with lime-salt-sugar (recipe below) and fill with fresh ice.
• Strain contents into glass and garnish with remaining rounds of grilled lime and lemon.
• Blend 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and zest of one lime in food processor.
• To rim the glass edge, take a lime wedge and run it along the rim and then and dip the edge of the glass in a small plate of the salt mixture.
Please follow and like us: