Back in the days of the Wild West, when cowboys and frontiersmen prepared each and every meal over open coals, food was simple and hearty.
Perhaps one of the most intriguing aspects of cowboy cuisine is the history in which it is embedded – myths and legends of famed fur trappers, outrageous outlaws and heroes alike, paint a colorful picture of what life might have been like on the western frontier. We pay homage to our grilling forefathers with this recipe for Frontier-Style Pork Chops.
• 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick or thicker
• 2 apples, sliced (about 1/4 inch think)
• 2 cups apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup flour
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• Combine the flour, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium size bowl.
• Coat pork chops in the dry mixture. Reserve leftover mixture to use later.
• Fill the grill with Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal and light the charcoal.
• Once coals are ashed over, place pork chops on the hot grill and brown, about 4 to 6 minutes each side.
• When the pork chops are browned, move them to a preheated cast iron skillet over medium heat.
• Add the remaining dry mixture and apple cider vinegar to the skillet to cover the pork chops. Top with sliced apples.
• Allow to simmer on low heat until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
• Serve pork chops with gravy and enjoy!
Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal lights quickly and burns long. It’s a favorite for barbecue fans because of the authentic smoky flavor it gives to your meals.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Hickory Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The hearty aroma and full flavor of hickory wood gives meat an unmistakable woodsy taste. This flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef, pork and chicken. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these hickory wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy® 100% All Natural Cherry Wood Chips add a smoky flavor to your grilled foods. The unique crisp aroma from rich cherry wood smoke will enhance any grilling experience. This cherry wood flavor goes well with any meat, but pairs particularly well with beef, chicken and seafood. Like all Cowboy® Wood Chips, these cherry wood chips burn more quickly than chunks, making them perfect for shorter cook times.
Cowboy All Natural Range Style Hardwood Briquets provide long-lasting, even heat while adding the authentic, smoky flavor of hardwood. They are all natural – no fillers, chemicals, or additives. Other standard briquets contain “coal and chemical” ingredients, as well as fillers like limestone. Discover the natural difference of Cowboy All Natural Hardwood Briquets!